We’ve all heard the going green mantra: Reduce, reuse, recycle. Even with these three easy steps, we can sometimes overlook incorporating green practices into our meetings and events. With more concern than ever on protecting our environment, we all have the responsibility to impact how we consume the world’s resources. Not only is going green great for our planet, but it can also reduce costs and positively impact company PR efforts. Take a look at some quick tips on how to reduce, reuse and recycle at your next event.
- Omit Emissions – Choose a location with off-site options and activities within walking distance to cut down on emissions.
- Drop the Swag – How many times do we end up tossing the knick knacks we pick up at events? Make sure your swag is something that is needed, otherwise, cut it.
- Say No to Plastic H2O – Work into your contract that water pitchers or dispensers will be provided at no cost and commit to eliminating disposable water bottles at your event. You can take this one step further by giving away a useful swag item, such as a reusable water tumbler, to get attendees involved with your sustainability efforts.
- Go Paperless – With all the event technology and means of communicating today, commit to a paperless event. Utilize e-Invites, online registration and an event app, to go electronic with as much as you can.
- Versatile Centerpieces – Get creative with your centerpieces and imagine eye-catching, purposeful displays, like colorful fruit bowls that functions as a mid-afternoon snack.
- Evergreen Signage – Are there certain signs you use every year? Use your company logo and keep the theming for other elements of the event.
- Dare to Donate – Donate everything you can after your event ends: supplies, extra promotional items and food, when possible.
- Utilize Recycled Materials – When placing orders for meeting supplies, focus on using recycled materials.
- Viable Venue – During the site selection process, partner with venues that provide recycling and promote green initiatives. This could include providing compost and recycling bins.
This is not a comprehensive list of all the ways you can go green at your next event. A little intentional planning can go a long way and being conscious of your impact is the first step!